Whether you’re a Muggle, an Earper, a Jedi, a Whovian or someone who has no idea what any of that means, if you love popular culture, getting dressed up, playing esports, trading cards and collectibles, board games and fun, TROPiCON is for you.
Scheduled to take place at Darwin Entertainment Centre on Saturday, 1 October 2022, TROPiCON is a fresh and exciting addition to the Territory events calendar, and celebrates all things geek and pop culture. Early Bird tickets are on sale from Friday, 29 July 2022, with a celebratory launch and information session happening the same day at Mad Snake Café in the Darwin CBD from 6-9pm.
Geek Culture Collective Chair Nestor Sanchez said TROPiCON will be an intergenerational and diverse safe space for adults and youth of all backgrounds to bond through their shared hobbies.
“The Geek Culture Collective, through TROPiCON, aims to bring together all small geek-based community groups to inspire the collective Territory industry to work together and engage the broader non-geek community in sharing experiences,” he said.
“Everyone has something they ‘geek out’ about. Come meet your people, or try something new, you may just find a new passion! Stay tuned for additional program announcements.”
Delivered by Geek Culture Collective, a not-for-profit organisation answering the call for more ‘geek’ events in the NT, TROPiCON will include:
· Cosplay competition and parade;
· Role play games such as Dungeons and Dragons, Star Wars, Paizo Pathfinder and Starfinder;
· Board games such as Settlers of Catan and Blood on the Clock Tower;
· Miniature-painting workshops including Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar;
· Esports competitions, a free-to-play gaming hub, a video game design studio;
· Territory-built video games; and
· Exhibitors and stalls, artist alley and competition, and special guests.
TROPiCON is supported by the Northern Territory Government through Northern Territory Major Events Company. To find out more, including how to be involved, visit https://www.ntgcca.com/